Dated 1845, this ordinance declares that "it should be unlawful for any person or person to play at any game of Ball, or at any other game or pastime whereby the grass or grounds of any Public place or square shall be defaced or injured." Ban was repealed in 1856
This ambrotype, a photographic image made by a wet-plate process, depicts Cleveland's Public Square. It was probably taken in the autumn of 1859 by Albert Bisbee. Within the image can be seen the Public Square fountain, Second Presbyterian Church, Trinity Episcopal Church, and St. Paul's Episcopal Church. In the foreground lies the outline of a ball diamond.
- source - ohiohistory.org
The rival club of the Forest City's is the first team from Cleveland to join the prestigious National Association of Base Ball Players. The club went 1-9-1 with 185 total runs scored, and 407 runs scored aginst them. They dropped out of the league after 1868, and remained an amateur club for several years as professional base ball took hold.
Infants played at Brotherhood Park in 1884.