Black-Berri-Wyne Row was the actual fan club of the Blues back in the 1870's and 1880's. The following is a description of the group taken from Base Ball on the Western Reserve (Jim Egan Jr.):
"They were at every Blues game; they sat up in the right field stands, and from there they loudly critiqued every aspect of the game being played below, while all along sipping their beverage of choice - blackberry wine.
This collection of devoted 'croakers' (fans) - composed of local celebrities and their followers was the first (though unofficial) booster club for Cleveland baseball.
With the help of the Cleveland Leader, and through a number of spelling changes, they became "blackberriwyne row." They were led by a very large man, Al Johnson, who along with his brother Tom Johnson (a future mayor of Cleveland) owned the Brooklyn Street Railway streetcar line.
Al's lieutenants in "blackberriwynerow" were Charles Le Marche - proprietor of the Weddell House Hotel; George Wilson - a cigar manufacturer located a stone's throw away from the Weddell, on Water St; and Mat Wolford - tavern owner, and noted, or notorious, seller of sporting 'pooles' (in essence gambling). His place was on Frankfurt Street, also near the Weddell.
The antics of the wine-tasting gang were part of the fun throughout this exciting season..."